In Llangynog the Roman Fort is probably the oldest known settlement.
St Cynog's Church is built on the mound where the hermit preacher and healer, Cynog, may have stood.
The route through the valley is an ancient one and the road used to pass in front of the 16th Century Tanat Inn. Opposite the Inn, against the Church wall, a small building provided a resting place for pilgrims walking to St. Melangell Church.
Houses along the road were often set back to provide land for the Drovers to rest their cattle over night.
In the 18th Century lead was discovered and mined extensively. The village grew as the men came to find work and by the end of the 19th Century there were five pubs, six shops and three chapels. The stone mason inscribed the mens' occupation on their head stones.
Quarrying for slate and granite took over as the lead mines closed and the arrival of the railway in 1904 kept the village prosperous.
Eventually the quarries and, later, the railway closed and the village became quieter.
The village hall was built by local people in 1938 and the circle of council houses and pensioners bungalows was built in 1948. Many of the old two up and two down cottages were vacated. Electricity, for lights only, was generated by the mill stream but in 1958 National Grid electricity caused a dramatic change in the way of life.
The school closed in 1971 and is now workshops. Farming and tourism re
main as local industries and many people commute to Oswestry and other towns. Many poets and preachers have lived in the village and, in the past, Llangynog has boasted a choir, a football team and a home guard.